Detroit Knit City

This past Saturday The Yarn Harlot gave a talk at the (beautiful) Main Branch of the Detroit Public Library. I was invited to attend as a local designer/vendor, something that I had never done before. I had no idea what to expect, but I kind of figured that there would be other knitters present.

And there were -- lots and lots of knitters. More knitters than I've seen in once place before. I had my table set up (more like piled) with my samples and a selection of my patterns and for the entire 120-odd minutes of the sale I was swamped (in the best way possible) with knitters. I met so many lovely Detroit knitters I could hardly keep track. I was asked to autograph a copy of my Polska mittens. People wanted to see what socks I was wearing (Little Pumpkins by Sabine Ruppert.) Knitters came up to me and happily informed me that they read my blog and have favourited my patterns on Ravelry. I was slightly light-headed from missing lunch and running on near-pure adrenaline...and then there was this lady in front of me, telling me I needed to hold her sock so she could take my picture. It was, for me, an amazing moment.

It was, of course, due to all these exciting moments that I was too busy in the course of the afternoon to snap many (any?) pictures. I was knitting happily by the time I realized that The Harlot's (wonderful) talk was nearly finished. I figured that she might not appreciate me snapping (possibly) distracting pictures at that point, so I refrained. I'm hoping that this will merely be the first of times that our paths will cross, so no worries. I may very well get to Kinnear her yet.All in all, it was an utterly wonderful and totally surreal day. Here's hoping for more like it.

5 comments:

Winterhart said...

It sounds like a lovely time!

Adriana said...

Hooray for Jane! I want to hear all about it when I see you next month!

Azura said...

Jane! You're famous! I'm very proud of you :) And I continue to love your patterns, even though they're way beyond my skill level

Marianne said...

I am such of fan of yours and am glad the rest of the world or Detroit has gotten to know you. Keep up the great stuff you are doing!

French Press Knits said...

So glad I found this- I'm putting the link with the rest of them on my blog post about the day! :)