William it was really nothing

Mittens with blue faience hippos on -- inspired by a chat I had with Kate Davies where we discovered that we share a mutual affinity for ancient azure apotropaic artiodactyls -- in particular, the Met's William and his brother at the Louvre.
I had the pleasure of meeting William in person this past summer. I was at the front of the queue and made a beeline through the Egyptian galleries until I found him.He looks good for being 4000 years old.

You will therefore understand my delight at discovering that the Met also sells not only reproductions of William (which I would love to acquire) but also various other William-shaped items including this 4GB flash drive.I rest easy knowing that my data will be protected in both this life and the next.

14 comments:

Jody said...

I LOVE William and your mittens are really divine!

Beverly said...

I may have just fallen in love with a pair of in-progress mittens. I did. I did.

Thea said...

I just love this! both William and his namesake mitts....

Ruth said...

I love William, too.

love2stitch said...

I love William and bought a T-shirt with his counterfeit on it when I first came to NYC for a visit (oh boy that was 15 years ago!!!)
Now that I live here I am still love the Met Museum and William and now your new mittens - I guess this has to go on my to do list for 2011 :-)

Anonymous said...

blue hippo mittens are BRILLIANT and inspired by William makes them fascinating too!

Azura said...

Ooo .. these hippo mittens may be my new favourites, replacing the Swedish Fish Mittens from so long ago :)

Nobiantary said...

Soo cute!

Not that Jeanne said...

Oooh! I love all of your mittens, but these are the most wonderful things I have ever seen. Please say there will be a pattern someday!

Anonymous said...

How fantastic! I have a deep love for egyptology, and firmly believe such motifs should be more common in knitting patterns. :)

Mette said...

Perfect.. just perfect

Unknown said...

Your mittens are just the best! I've checked out your Rav project pages. Yipes! What a talent!

Anonymous said...

I also met William this summer (and we now have a little plush stuffed William living with us. In fact, that William is looking over my shoulder as I type). Mittens. Hmm. Must make them!

Anonymous said...

Hello! So amazing! My friend sent me this link as I also do a craft blog and was just talking about my love of the blue hippos (there is one in the British Museum. He is supposed to have a friend but the friend isn't there!) I will have to link to this now. I am so glad others love blue hippos and knitting too. ^_^