Sometimes I even scare myself.

It's true! Just look:

Another new sock!

This is Yukari. What's special about her is that an entire pair can be knit with one skein of Colinette Jitterbug. Those of you who are familiar with this yarn probably know that is slightly lacking in the yardage department. When it comes to sock-knitting, this can mean one of three things:

1. very, very pricey sock-knitting (two skeins at $20+ each is not going to happen,)

2. very, very suspenseful sock-knititng (one skein might be enough,)

3. toe-up socks (I tried this once -- and it worked wonderfully -- but I nearly came unhinged in the process.)

After my first intense (but ultimately successful) run-in with Jitterbug I had mentally resolved to not get involved with this yarn every again. Somehow, though (and this is probably my fault,) I ended up with another skein (in Summer Berries, for the curious.) It's been hanging out in the stash for a couple of months, and the other day I decided that its Time had come.

What ended up happening was a wide-ribbed sock with seed-stitch panels alternating with a classic scallop lace motif. Sure, the seed stitch might get a little lost at times, but the texture is still there. In this colouway, the overall effect is nothing less than lush. I would love to see what this looks like in a semi-solid (or solid) yarn.

Colour aside, this is a quick (and easily-memorized) knit, which would be ideal as an on-the-move project.

Yukari's already been added to Ravelry right over here. The pattern will be turning up in a couple of days.

2 comments:

Adriana said...

That's a nice alternative to the traditional scallop pattern. I'll add it to my queue :)

Heather G. said...

You are a sock machine! I hear Cookie A only makes one sock per pair...