On Sizeable Shawls

I am currently knitting a shawl.  I have already sunk nearly two full skeins of Briggs & Little Regal (colour: Light Grey) into this shawl; am debating on whether I should end it here or crack into the third. Hm.
Reasons to go on: the pattern is simple, enjoyable and a classic.  I've got the chart happily memorized.  It's not irritating me in the least, and I've only been working on the thing for about a week.  The yarn is one of my favourites and is an absolute dream to work with.  And really, what am I going to do with one odd skein of the stuff (plenty of things, actually - at 272 yarns a skein its mileage is impressive).
I've just compared it to another shawl that I've recently turned out, and as it stands I could reasonably stop knitting this new one now.  It's completely functional at its current size and there's no shame in presently heading into the endgame.
But I do enjoy big shawls - shawls that you can wrap around yourself for days.  But this begs the question: can a shawl ever be too big?  At what point does it stop being a shawl and start being a blanket?

And then this image popped into my mind's eye:
Wear the shawl.  Don't give it the chance to wear you.

______
(And be sure to cast on another right away!)

7 comments:

Lorette said...

I love that pattern. It looks easy but not brain-dead boring easy. I also love that yarn color. It should be very versatile.

Audry said...

I had a Slytherine Scarf that looked a lot like Mr. Kravitz's that I insisted on wearing. My only excuse is that I didn't understand gauge when I knit it!

ellen kirkendall said...

I do favor really big shawls, especially when traveling. Bigger is more versatile. That said, there is a point where bigger makes you look foolish.

Judith Somersett said...

All my shawls "wear me". I like them big and beautiful. Although, I doubt I would strut down the boulevard dragging a shawl behind me. Like Linus.

Love this blog.

Judith

(Keep calm and shawl on)

Beth P said...

I just popped over from Comptonia after her mention of your free Sea Mineral mittens for a wee visit. I am really happy I did because your blog is just well, awesome! It is very inspiring and so yes, you know have another groupie following your words in cyberspace! :D

As to that shawl, well it is certainly lovely but I do tend to like things that can really wrap around me like a big hug so I would probably say go ahead and use that other skein/ball of yarn. I also live in New Hampshire which is quite cold and snowy in the winter, which by the way lasts for about 6 months of the year... or it seems to anyway! :D

Well, that's my two cents worth...
Hugs from a new friend,
Beth P

Roberta Mendes said...

Hello, I love your crochet, it is beauty, I love this colors, I follow your blog, I have a blog about crochet and knit with free patterns and free crochet, knits diagrams, visit me , hugs from Brazil.
Visite meu blog - Tita Carré - Crochet

Imas Exports said...


Pretty nice post. I have in fact enjoyed reading your website posts. I have been googling blogs and sites in related manner recently and i have to state you have a nice
Shawls Manufacturer in Delhi