Snails and socks

I'm dressed for the garden and my tea's gone cold, but before I head off to deadhead the marigolds (and have more tea,) and ultimately end up back inside (knitting and listening to Melodica,) here's someone I met the other day out in my tray of sweet pea seedlings:Hello! He/She's looking at you with one beady eye-stalk! Cute!

I met another such fellow/lady last night as I was dividing a clump of Echinacea donated to my cause from my mom's back garden. I set him/her down in one of the mint patches for safe keeping. He/she can eat all the mint he/she likes, if he/she so chooses.

Plant-acquisition around here has been at an all-time high as we're finally working on landscaping the front garden. I've spent the past few days coated in a fine grime comprised mainly of dirt, sweat, sunscreen and bug spray (the latter two help the dirt stick better,) but the result is totally worth it.

Needless to say, all this gardening has cut into my knitting time. Still, I am dangerously close to finishing the (tentatively-titled) Balearique Gentlemen's Socks (which can be converted to Ladies' socks by going down a needle size. Or not, as you prefer.)When that occurs (oh, happy day!) they will depart to go live with their recipient, just in time for the summer months (my timing is impeccable.)

The pattern will be ready sooner than you think, should you be interested in acquiring a copy. I think I may actually have a wee contest with pattern giveaways to celebrate the release of this one. I'll keep you posted.

In other news, anticipation is high in these parts for the First Fall + Holiday Headstart 2010 issue of Knitty, (even more so than usual,) mainly because I have a pattern in it. You're going to want to check that one out. Don't forget!

8 comments:

Adriana said...

Ok, you are so much crazier than I thought. Those socks are insane!! Lovely but insane!!

JelliDonut said...

Those socks are beautiful!

lauren said...

wait, do you have a pattern for a mitten with snails on it? because it really seems like you should :)

Unknown said...

@Adriana and @JelliDonut --> Thanks so much!

@LEO --> A good question, that! I'm working to remedy that right now, actually.

Maryse said...

I've never seen a snail that big and colorful! These socks look wonderful, I look forward to seeing them finished! And of course, I already look forward to see your contribution to the next Knitty! Have a great weekend!

Montreal Mama said...

Can't wait to see what patterns you have in Knitty! Yey, a contest! Awesome!

Unknown said...

I concur with those socks being insane... in a gorgeous way! Thank goodness, because the knitting world is seriously lacking in interesting mens' sock patterns.

Cannot wait!

Unknown said...

Gorgeous. As per your usual, spillyjane.