That's how I roll.

If only you could've seen me this past Saturday -- driving around downtown Detroit, my neck craned at an odd angle, twisted up under the windshield (on the passenger side, of course,) all to get a better view of this:A seemingly innocent Art Deco tilework detail on a poor, unsuspecting skyscraper. Little did it know that the deed had already been done! Gee, this is starting to just sound dirty.

In any event, the building in question is Detroit's Art Deco masterpiece, the Guardian Building. Built in 1928, it is a remarkable building and the jewel of the Detroit skyline...and now it's been immortalized as a Latvian-style colourwork mitten.These are the Guardian Mittens (Ravelry link.) That's the tilework motif there on the cuff, and the palm motif is taken from a diamond pattern on an ironwork grill closer to ground level. Yes, the cuff features three "terrifying" rows of three-colour knitting, but it's not so bad (and totally worth it -- I am in LOVE with the cuff.)

The pattern should be out any time now, and it will include instructions detailing how to knit these as fingerless gloves (handy for those who are also in love with the cuff motif,) as well as an alternate (but equally Art Deco) colourway for those who don't want to sport the exact colours of the actual building on their hands (yes, I do understand that not everyone wants to look like a building from the 1920s.)

Taking something huge, public, gorgeous and built of brick and tile 80 years ago and turning it into something small, wearable, gorgeous and made of wool in 2008 -- that's how I roll.

7 comments:

Adriana said...

They look amazing! You are so clever.

Anonymous said...

So cool! As a native Detroiter (and someone who passes close by on my way to Wayne State), I appreciate your lovely design.

Poethead said...

Wow! I love these mittens! There are so many mitten patterns I want to make. I also love the picture of the building. Yes, the building and the mittens go well together! When will the pattern be available?

Pen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pen said...

As former detroiter & WSU alum, I add my kudos to you. We have so many awesome spaces there. It's awesome to see it in fiber

Ann said...

You are amazing in creating those mittens - fantastic design.

Bridget said...

I'm sorry, but I'm just in awe of the fact that the pattern on the thumb matches and blends into the pattern on the palm. I'm totally geeking out about it! You rock!