On the sewing-in of ends

I finished knitting Thomas' socks long before my deadline of Friday at 10 am (aka "in the mail",) but they're still here with me. I'm sure you'll understand the reason why once you take a look at them (here, inside out,) and see what yet remains to be done:An inevitable result of bold and colourful (size Men's large) socks is their many, many bold and colourful ends. This should have been obvious -- I designed and made the things, after all -- and I knew full well what I getting myself into. As the finished product is a truly stunning pair of socks, I really don't mind. Besides, Thomas is worth the added effort.

It seems that my relationship with ends has been a topic of some discussion as of late. Well, consider this my Offical Position on the subject: I love ends. Maybe the rumours are true?!

Yes, I love ends. I find the act of sewing them in, one after the other, incredibly meditative and soothing. It's the finishing process that I don't always like, but I have a sturdy relationship with it nonetheless. Proper finishing is another chance to imbue the knitted garment with another level of handmadeness. It's like signing your name, in a way.

This is the way I see it: I finish those things that need to be finished, right up to the very end, with a cherry on top. If it's a prototype mitten (or sock) and only one is required, it's never going to be worn, and will only ever really see action at events like trunk shows I don't sew in the ends. If it's a pair of socks or mittens or whatever that is going to be worn (like Thomas' socks, for instance,) I sew them in.

Which is what I'm in the process of doing at present. And if the truth be known...I'm enjoying it.

And now you know. I always did suspect that I was a little odd.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMGOSH. That is a LOT of ends. Wow. I admire you for having the patience to finish all those ends... If I have a lot of ends, I try to weave them in as I go so I don't get annoyed at the end and never weave them in.

Anonymous said...

I myself am inordinately fond of stripes, mainly because I love color but not stranded knitting or intarsia. That leaves stripes. It always surprises me how many ends are produced, but like you I sew the darned things in with some satisfaction. Good for you!

Andria said...

I just read about your delight of ends this morning over at Yarn Harlot and I wondered if I was the only one who didn't mind weaving them in. I find that is my favorite part because that makes it feel real. I knit because I love creating beautiful things and weaving in the ends helps me to realize I actually did it.

Susie said...

If the payoff for being a little odd is being as creative and talented as you are, I'd say you're ahead of the game. Enjoy your end tucking!

erin said...

You're not an odd person at all; I find that ends are just about my favorite part! I actually have to struggle to to weave in ends as I go. I know that's not practical, for if I have to rip back, it would be quite a headache, but I just enjoy it so much! It's like the cherry on top, the dessert at the end of the meal, the relaxing and satisfying bubble bath at the end of the day. I totally agree!!

Voie de Vie said...

Well, more power to you, cause I love stripes, but hate weaving in ends. Yes, I leave them till the end, and then it always seems like a monumental task to complete.

Of course, I always feel so accomplished once the task is complete ... :)

Catherine said...

I'm afraid I don't really like sewing in ends or sewing seams. I much prefer to knit in teh round or knit one piece and knit on teh next to minimise seams. And I deal with ends by the 'how to eat an elephant' system.

Those are stunning socks though

laurel bud said...

I'm envious... I hate sewing in ends but wish I did.

I recently made a lovely striped cardigan for my little man with 7 different colours so you can imagine the ends and I left it that long it would no longer fit him, how awful is that?

So annoyed at myself because it was a beautiful cardy. Think I will try to see it as you do in future.

Fab socks BTW.

DonnaC said...

Wonderful socks! I'd love a little youtube of you doing some finishing of the ends. Love to see what paths people take hen they do this sort of thing.

Katie said...

Do you have any tips or tricks for weaving in your ends? I find that mine always come out...